Our History


May 17, 1945 – Corporation formed; prospectus Issued; Walter T. Vahlberg, Architect

May, 1945 – 3 lots obtained (#17 & 18 purchased for $5000; #l6 Donated by G.A. Nichols)

1948 – The Methodist Church of Nichols Hills (commonly called Nichols Hills Methodist Church)

June 11, 1948 – First Quarterly Conference; election of Board of Stewards

June 20, 1948 – First service held in home of Mr/Mrs. A.J. Bullard, 1212 Glenwood Ave. Subsequent services held at Nichols Hills Town Hall, Avondale & Western

October 31, 1948 – First service In stone chapel: 56 members; $24,000, Vahlberg,
Architect (by June 1949: 81 Charted Members)


October, 1951 – Educational wing to east (classrooms, dining hall & kitchen); 134 members PROJECTING EVENTUAL MEMBERSHIP OF 1,500 $72,000 including tile roof for chapel; Frankfort Short, Architects

January, 1952 – Lot #19 deeded by Mrs. G.A. Nichols & 3 daughters: Mrs.
Morgan Cox, Mrs. John W. Coyle, and Mrs. Nichols Burwell

1953 – Lot #20 deeded by Mrs. Nichols & 2 daughters: Coyle & Burwell

1955 – Offices, classrooms & a basement “to be used temporary fellowship hall” according to Mrs. George Bixler, church historian 1948-62* 500 members; $240,000; MASTER PLAN shows Fellowship Wing.


October 1961, – Sanctuary completed; chapel converted to parlor; 1,100 members – $300,000; Wright & Selby, Architects

June 26, 1966 – Dedication: Memorial Garden & Leonard McMurry sculpture of Jesus

1968 – The United Methodist Church of Nichols Hill (by national mandate)

1968 – Basement Fellowship Hall remodeled (now Choir area)


January 1, 1972 – 1,452 members

June 3, 1973 – Mortgage burned on Twenty-fifth Anniversary of Nichols Hills Methodist

1980’s: December 6, 1987 – Groundbreaking for Fellowship Wing

November 8, 1988 – Consecration of Fellowship Wing: $1.75 Million including furnishings


October 1995 – Dedication of remodeled parlor

May 1998 – Membership: 1,606

June 1998 – Completion of Renovation of Pre-school children’s Area

June 21, 1998 – Fathers day the founding Fathers and Mothers were honored exactly fifty years and one day after the first worship

September 1998 – Nichols Hills United Methodist Church of (made common name official)

Octobers 31–November 1, 1998 – Fiftieth Anniversary Homecoming Celebration Tapestry project in Sanctuary completed “The Women and the Tomb”


The time is now and Nichols Hills is active and continuing to create our story there are a multitude of ministry oppurtunities for the whole body of Christ.  We are always growing and searching for new way to express our faith and discipleship in following the way of Jesus Christ.

 Pope Lectures

In 1987, the first Pope Lecture Series was presented in honor of the late Dr. W. Carrol Pope, former Associate Pastor and Pastor Emeritus at Nichols Hills United Methodist Church.  Dr. Pope, a remarkable Bible scholar and teacher, was memorialized by an anonymous gift, and subsequently the series have been presented featuring noted scholars and theologians.

 Speakers have included:

Dr. Michael Goldberg, noted Jewish theologian

Dr. Justo L. González, scholar in church history from Cuba

Rev. R. Grace Imathiu, preacher and teacher from Kenya

Dr. D. Stephen Long, systematic theologian from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary

Dr. J. Philip Newell, expert in Celtic spirituality from Scotland

Dr. Bryan Stone, evangelism scholar from Boston University Shcool of Theology

Dr. Robert D. Webber, New Testament Scholar from Lancaster Pennsylvania

Dr. Lovett H. Weems, Jr., Wesleyan scholar